X

X

2.16.2012

Yesterday's Ball Juggling

"Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. They are Work, Family, Health, Friends and Spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the air.
You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball.
If you drop it, it will bounce back.
But the other four balls - Family, Health, Friends and Spirit - are made of glass.
If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same.
You must understand that and strive for it.
Work efficiently during office hours and leave on time.
Give the required time to your family, friends and have proper rest.
Value has a value only if its value is valued."  
- Coca Cola CEO (The full speech here)

I had a few balls in the air.

Our car is being repaired.
So I had no ride.
Had to take the girls to their dental appointments.
So we walked.
Our house had an electrical problem.
I struggled to keep my mouth shut while Steve tinkered with electricity.
In the process of restoring power to the one side of our house, he was side-tracked by a little shock therapy.
So I called an electrician.

There are a few people in life that you do not want to hear utter words,
"This is not good."
1. Your doctor
2. Your spouse
3. A repairman

I happen to be exchanging texts with my friend Michelle when the electrician said those ominous words to me yesterday.
I told her that I was concentrating on remaining positive.
Her reply:
Everything can be fixed.
Maybe you need a more positive electrician.

Michelle was right, as the problem was repaired shortly before the children got off their school bus.
We survived our chilly walk to the dentist.
I declined an early dinner invitation to a friend's house (even if it was within walking distance) and opted for a quiet and peaceful evening at home.
We were winding down after dinner when I picked up my phone and saw a message:
Haloo. Getting hungry. Will wait till 7 then get myself some dinner.
And then I screeched.
That message was from an out-of-town friend who was in town, downtown and whom I had promised to meet up with for dinner.
I forgot.
And I can't even make it up to him because he is in meetings all day today before his flight back home.
Plus, I still don't have a car.
And, the girls have a half-day today and will be home soon.
And it is raining.

As I juggled life's balls yesterday,  I dropped a glass ball.
Luckily my friend Benj is not just any glass ball--but more like Coke bottle glass.
The type that can roll and can be easily righted.
Benj, thanks for being a valued friend.