X

X

6.24.2007

Like You Were Walking Onto a Yacht

The old adage "don't judge a book by its cover..." is easier said than done when you don't come with a tattered book jacket.
For the first time in my life I am experiencing seasonal allergies.
It has gotten so bad that it is making me a recluse.
Here is one eye at its worst:


I was so bummed by my appearance the other day that I declined two parties.
One party held the prospect of delicious Filipino food while the other one was a highschool graduation party of one of my old students from 10 years ago.
How self absorbed must I be to think that people cared if my eyes look bad?
So I showed up at the graduation party.

Charlie Mietzner , Jennifer Borsani, Me and Danny Borsani

But because I cared about how I looked, I never did remove my sunglasses.

Tagged by Girlie to reveal my beauty secrets, here it is:

1. Preparation-H hemorrhoidal ointment-I dab under my eyes to reduce the swelling.
2. Kiels's diaper rash cream-I apply liberally to alleviate the itching at night.
(you know you've come full circle when products for one's rear are now used on the face)
3. Olopatadine hydrochloride opthalmic solution-
I use Patanol to manage the allergy.
4. Benadryl based products-
to sleep away my sorrows.
5. Hydrocortisone Creme-
alleviates the itching during the day.
6. Teeth whitening gel-
so people will focus on my mouth instead of on my eyes.
7. Very Large sunglasses-
self explanatory

This allergy has made me ponder vanity and why we feel good about ourselves only when our "outer covering" is good.
If truly what is inside is more important then why does it seem like "packaging" is valued more by society?