X

X

6.19.2007

A Random Story

One morning I was scouring the classifieds unsuccessfully for a job when something else caught my eye:

Jesus Christ Superstar Auditions.
Prepare a song, preferably from the musical.
Bring sheet Music.

I thought "perfect!"
I turned to my husband-of-four-months and asked:
"Can you drive me to this audition?"
(At the ripe old age of 27, I had yet to learn how to drive a car)
He replied rather incredulously,
"Sure--but have you done this before???"

I had always wanted to be on stage.
I never auditioned because I feared that someone I knew would scoff at my temerity.
Although I can carry a tune, I don't sing very well. (and I am not being modest either)
And I had never acted either--but that was beside the point.

I said,
"No, but since I am new to this city and nobody knows me..."
He said,
"yeah I'll drive you...but if you think that I am watching this audition, you are wrong--I am going to wait outside"
And I said, "If you think for a second that I would even consider letting you watch me you are wrong...you are absolutely waiting outside!"

On the day of the auditions Steve drove me and stayed outside as promised.
My heart was beating a thousand beats per minute in my ears.
As each actor stepped up they handed the pianist their sheet music and told them what key they were singing in.
I had no sheet music.
Since I did not know how to read music anyway there would have been no point.
I felt ill.
When my name was called I walked up to the pianist
(just to look normal).
My knees where shaking so hard as I wailed in my best
Yvonne Elliman.
Then after having to do a few improvisational exercises
(while truly wishing I could be swallowed up by my puet), I was done.
Outside the theatre I jumped into our car and as if fleeing the scene of a crime I barked out,
"Just Drive!"
However a few seconds later I said, "Pull Over!"
As I opened the car door to vomit, Steve said,
"Well, I'd say we should definitely do this more often."


Opening Night Note: 4/1994

__________________________________

Thank you Clayton Lowe, Beaman, Wanderlustscarlett and AnitoKid .
Your tags took me back to this interesting time of my life.
With this story I was able to share the following
8 Random Facts about me:

1. I vomit when I am nervous.
2. I can't read notes and yet I can play the piano.
3. I can carry a tune.
4. I moved to the US when I was 27.
5. I learned how to drive when I was 28.
6. I was in Jesus Christ Superstar.
7. Steve is very supportive of me.
8. Despite how much fun I had, that is the first and last play I ever did.


This was the best group of actors and actresses to work with.
Gary Baczewski moved on and was in "The Break up"-- the Jennifer Anniston Movie.
Brett Kitko is a director and actor in a group called Dionysian Actors in North Carolina.
Megan Hilty moved on to Broadway.
Marc Hewlett owns a bar in Ohio.

Jody Kozenko may have hung up the costume in favor of her life as an Optometrist Ophthalmologist in Richmond Virginia.
Leah Akins
I have yet to find. She was extremely talented, focused and driven towards theater.
Then that's me in the superstar costume.
Jennifer Higgins
, who is an architect, moved to Philly and married an Episcopalian Minister. They have three children.

L->R: Matt Stocke, Marla Degenhardt, Anthony Marino and Me.

Anthony Marino moved to a Brooklyn based performing group.
Matt Stocke definitely moved on to bigger and better things.
Although he is now sans hair, he is still a very talented guy.
I was watching the Tony Awards one night on television when this guy Matt jumped up on the stage promoting the Full Monty on Broadway!
For a guy who once told Steve that he had to choose between being a pro baseball player and the theatre, I'd say he chose wisely.