X

X

10.10.2014

Prayers Work

We recently tackled an unpleasant situation that was happening at G's school.
G was getting bullied at school.
But unlike most bullying cases where someone is bullied by someone in their peer group, this was not the case here.
G was being bullied by a teacher.

Apparently this is not uncommon.
You can read articles about teachers bullying kids: here  here and here.

It had started toward the end of G's 7th grade but I decided to try and let the summer break heal the situation.
That teacher had just finished the school year being accused of treating another student unfairly, and I did not want to pile on.

Plus I was aware that the teacher in question was wrestling with some personal issues.

Unfortunately, it was clear in the first few months of G's 8th grade that the teacher was not treating G any better.

At first, G was reluctant for us to do anything.
I explained to her that we were going to do this, not just for G's sake, but for other students in the future. 
I did not want to ruin the teacher's life but I also felt that by not saying anything, that I was complicit in allowing someone to keep doing something that was harmful.

So after discussing things with Steve, we agreed that the first step was to inform the school principal.
After listening to a few examples I shared with her, the school principal was extremely concerned.
The next thing Steve did was to write a calm and straightforward letter to the teacher-- and then he asked for a meeting with both the teacher and the principal.
We promptly got a letter of apology from the teacher and in the same letter, she agreed to a meeting and suggested a day at the end of the week.

Meanwhile, I kept praying for guidance and reassurance that we were doing the right thing.
While I was praying, I chanced upon a bible verse that I had never really noticed before:

"My friends, not many of you should become teachers. As you know, we teachers will be judged with greater strictness than others."
~James 3:1

That evening, I informed Steve and G that I was going to pray that the teacher was going to resign.

Steve said, "It's not going to be that easy."
However, in the interest of moving things along, he did suggest that we move the meeting sooner rather than later in the week.
The rest of the details are not known to us, but it is clear that whatever subsequent discussions transpired between the principal and the teacher--the teacher decided not to push through with the meeting with us and instead, she turned in her two weeks notice.

I had initially met with the principal on the evening of Sept. 22. 
By Sept. 25th we were informed privately that she was going to be gone in 2 weeks. 
When I told Steve that the teacher resigned he said: "I was not expecting that."
I was not expecting it either, but yet I was not surprised at the answered prayer.
In fact, I was awed.

Yesterday it was announced to the entire school that she was resigning to take care of the needs of her family.
G came home completely shocked. (Steve and I had not told her of the developments)
Today was that teacher's last day.