X

X

7.15.2014

I Am on an Overnight "Camping" Trip Right Now With Four Girls. (part I)

Although we are not sleeping in a tent tonight,
I did make dinner over a camp fire.

It is the very first camp fire I built all by myself.
While the girls were busy catching crawfish and playing in a mudslide they made--I busied myself with the task of building a fire.
I worked on it for HOURS.
Not exaggerating about how long this took.
It had been raining for a few days and so all the wood was wet.
In the middle of my unsuccessful attempts at fire building, I left to go to the nearest convenience/gas station/hardware store almost 3 miles away- to try and purchase dry firewood.
But they did not have any firewood for sale.
So I decided to try using the one little package of firestarter that we had.
Firestarter is a thing that contains some sort of flammable chemical.
It is to be used only when one gives up due to incompetence or wet firewood.
Firestarter burns quickly but will only work on wet wood if one uses a ton of kindling.
So I harvested a ton of kindling.
Dead branches on the ground that have parts that are off the ground (meaning they have been hanging out to dry) and make a snapping sound when you break it off--make good kindling (A lesson on fire building that I recently learned)
When you feed the kindling in between the burning firestarter and the wet wood, it becomes a a race between the firestarter extinguishing or one piece of wood drying out and catching fire.
Once I got one piece of wood burning, the rest reluctantly followed.
With careful stoking and fanning of flames I was able to wait until that chemical agent was all burned before making grilled cheese sandwiches, hotdogs and s'mores for dinner over the hot coals.

I never knew making a fire would be this satisfying.
And as instructed in 1 Corinthians 1:31
"So then, as the scripture says, "whoever wants to boast must boast of what The Lord has done."
I prayed that God would help me build that fire.
Of course I did.