X

X

2.24.2014

Qui Tacet Consentire Videtur

While  perusing K's instagram account yesterday,  I saw that an acquaintance of hers had used the
N-word (used it ending in "a" as opposed to "er")  in a comment on one of her pictures.
After slight internal deliberation (because I am trying to be more mindful about the battles I choose)
I asked her to remove the offensive comment.

She agreed to remove it but informed me that  although she personally does not use that word herself, the people in "her generation" do not use it as a racial slur, but rather as a term of endearment.
I held my tongue and instead did some research until I found a compelling video to help me redirect her.

I sent her the link with explicit instructions.



The video opened up more effective discussion between us and it also made me ponder that the old adage,
"sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm." is not necessarily true.
Sights and sounds can in fact induce a visceral reaction in people.
This is why some people blush when they hear a compliment, or some people faint at the sight of blood.

In this case, the N word was designed to torment a race,  its ability to hurt remains--even if subliminally.
I disagree with the argument that using it gives the word less power.
On the contrary, I think not using it, renders the word obsolete and causes the underlying malice to atrophy.

Qui Tacet Consentire Videtur.
He who remains silent, gives his consent.