X

X

9.20.2011

Another Brick In The Wall.

12: "You're trying to control me"
44: "You may think that I am trying to control you,  however I see it as trying to train you."

(She is 12. She is as angry as I am at 44.)

She is angry that I am training her to separate her gym shoes from the rest of the stuff in her bag.
It is basic foundation digging and a battle that I am picking.

While I fight the urge to shave my own head (or hers) as I keep up my mothering pace, I am aware that her focused determination is in fact a good thing.
It is this quality that  has enabled her to improve the time of her 1.6 mile cross country run from 13:13 last season, to 11:44 at last sunday's meet.

Nevertheless, I too am determined to do my very best time as a mother.
My friend Donna has introduced me to a parenting book called
Back in Control by Gregory Bodenhamer.
It comes so highly recommended that I am going to  purchase this today at the nearest bookstore chain five miles from my house.
If I were my friend Donna I would run the five miles, but I am not.
Being 44 means that I know exactly what I can and can not do while being 12 means my daughter is still becoming who she will or will not be.
Maybe I'll listen to some Pink Floyd during my drive.