X

X

10.31.2008

My Pumpkins


Last night we went to parent teacher conferences.
Gabi had A's and B's.
Steve visibly stiffened up (looked like he was about to have a bowel movement.)
He was very disappointed about Gabi's B's.
I told him, I understand that he wants the kids to do their best--
but for the first 2 months of school, I did not 'drill sergeant' her academics because I was just relieved that she was positive about going to school.
This is the first time in her life that she is accepting of school and  actually seems happy.
(maybe more like resigned)
During teacher conferences, I end up feeling "graded" too because how Gabi performs is a reflection of the person who oversees her school work.
That would be me.
So there, I got a couple of A's and a couple of B's.
That my friend, is a vast improvement from 32 years ago.
So secretly, I am happy.
But I never undermine Steve's desire for BEST EFFORTS/WORK.
I agree they should do their best (which is different from being the best)
I am glad that Steve's quest for excellence offsets my lackadaisical efforts at helping my children reach their potential.
Kika on the other hand was motivated.
Steve promised her that if she got straight A's, he would quit his nasty habit of chewing tobacco.
Well, Kika delivered.
I am proud of Kika for working hard--
and I will be proud of Steve if he delivers on his promise.
In fact, I will give the pumpkin an A.





Happy Halloween.