X

X

10.15.2008

How owning a dog helps fight the blues


I would have never thought that getting a dog could help fight depression.
After my 10 year old boxer named Junior died, I vowed never to own another dog.
I welcomed not having to pick up after him and I also did not miss his inconvenient habits.
I managed to convince myself that I was not a "dog person."
And then Pax happened.
(I say happened because truly--he was an accidental purchase.)
Almost two months later I realize he is a blessing.
I am now on a schedule.

No matter how disheveled I look, I am outdoors walking Pax.
A Bulldog's face is an absolute scene stealer.

Cars literally stop and back up just to see him.
This dog definitely prompts conversation and increases my social interaction.
I read somewhere that scientists in South Africa have proven that pet ownership works like an anti-depressant because of how it can increase the release of endorphins and other hormones linked to pleasure.
Personally I have noticed that having a dog makes me reach beyond my own blahs to care for him and in turn makes me a more productive person.


Here lies the beauty of this dog.
Pax's non-judgemental companionship and unconditional love can only do good not only for my mental health but also for my daughters' self esteem.
He helps minimize tension and stress and he helps increase our compassion for living things.
He enhances our family life.


In addition to the tactile comfort I get from his soft wrinkly fur and the smell of his doggy breath, he provides me with a relationship that is unlike relationships with humans-- Humans might take offense with my wrinkly skin and my morning breath.