X

X

4.06.2008

My First Ride



Blog friend CCE had an interesting post about her relationships in life and their respective rides. The comments that ensued were interesting--
go check it out--it provoked me to post this for CCE.
Meet my first boyfriend, let's call him "J."
And these were our rides.
CCE wrote to me:
Oh Chesca, that’s true love…sticking
(for 8 years)
with the man who can offer you only a bicycle. I want to weep for the sweet romance of that thought.
Anyhow--after my relationship with J ended for the nth time, I met my husband Steve.
Steve drove an old Volkswagon Rabbit GTI.

Sometimes it had no reverse.
I never attracted anyone with a fancy ride.
And although I have to admit that a luxury car does add a few pogi points...it has not ever been what attracted me to someone.
I think that is what has saved me from making relationship mistakes in the past.
It is what has led me to the best relationship ever.
I know, I know-- I whine and complain about him at times--
but as I was driving today the 300 miles from my parents house, I was reflecting.

(Oh no, Steve would say)
He may never be the type to "gift" me with car keys as a surprise
(like one of CCE's readers)
but he is certainly the type to empower me to purchase a reliable car for myself.
Lacking car talk and tire kicking skills notwithstanding--
it did feel good to be given the reins to what seems to be a male's domain.
Just like Steve's old Rabbit GTI, this marriage needs no reverse.

(Pictures of the weekend at Rochester, NY here)