X

X

1.06.2008

Feeling Foreign


At my sister Karen's office building in Manila, people line up to get on the elevators.
I did not know this.
With my children in tow, I walked right up to the elevator doors.
It was only when I met up with Karen that she herded me to the line on the way down, that I realized my faux pas.

That people did not even bother to call my attention--
we surmise, was due to my half-asian children and my blonde streaked hair--
making it apparent that I was not from there.
I felt like sh**.
Considering the numerous times I felt lost in the
United States, the irony of feeling foreign in my own home town was not lost on me.
This trip was the first time in my life I did not blend in with the 'peoplescape' of the Philippines.
It is because of this, that I decided to get my hair darkened once more.

While I have nothing against covering up my grey hair and pretending to be younger than I am,
somehow my blondish hair in Manila made me feel sheepish.
Like I was trying to be (caucasian) someone I was not.

I don't want to do that anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am back in the States.
Thank you for making our trip memorable.
Everyone's thoughtfulness has inspired me to pass it on.
The trip always seems too short, but I guess that is what makes it so special,
the desire to leave us wanting more.
I will be in touch just as soon as I am recovered from the time difference.

To those I did not get the chance to see, I will see you next time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Year Pictures Here.
Silva Table Tennis Invitational pictures here.
More Family Bonding.
Visiting with More Friends. (High School)
Our Last Day in the Philippines.
Surprise visit to San Francisco.