X

X

3.14.2007

Blind Date


we agreed we would meet at a trendy coffee shop at 10.
i got there a few minutes early ( i admit i was more than excited)
plus, i wanted to get my coffee in private.
determined to impress him, i was not about to let my chocolatey coffee choice count against me.
(black coffee=cerebral; flavored coffee=?)
i sat there trying to look pleasant with my "open" look.
every gentleman that entered got my most perky smile.
most of them politely looked away.
unfortunately i had forgotten to ask how my date looked.
8 minutes past 10 i started getting nervous.
the man seated to my left i startled with an, "are you *jake?" query.
(*name changed to protect his privacy)
the man to my right got the same question.
i promenaded around the coffee shop perusing all the lone men.
there was a man seated at the very last corner table, head bent down working on his taxes.
i figured that if he were jake, he should have had an "open" face as well.
but even so, i asked him anyway.
tax time does not a friendly make.
in total i had approached 5 men.
when i returned to my table, guy on the right asked me: "still no jake?"
at this point i whip out my cell phone to call my agent.
and then he walks in. he is not carrying a rose (like meg ryan did in sleepless in seattle)
instead he has a magazine.

FLASHBACK:
the other evening, C told me that she had referred my little blog to a magazine publisher.
the magazine publisher sent me an email to see if i was interested in writing for his magazine. was i interested??? to say i was interested is an understatement to say the least.
but i responded with a brief--sure why not type of message.
we agreed to meet yesterday at 10 am.
but before the meeting, i did some research on the magazine, which looked good except i did not recall ever reading it. hhmm. that could be a problem. with the help of ambien, i did not lose sleep over it.

BACK TO THE PRESENT:
after apologizing profusely for his delay he lays the magazine down on the table.

he : "have you read this before?"
me: "yes."
he: "where?"
me: "at the doctor's office"

this was truly one of those moments where my toes were curled, butt cheeks squeezed tightly,
and my sphincter muscle active.
you see, whereas i did not recall being aquainted with the magazine when i first pulled it up online, the moment i saw it face to face i realized that i had in fact read the magazine.
many times.
except it was at a shrink's office.
and i was not about to tell him that on our first date.

( would like to say thank you to my agent, for believing in me...will let you know how this goes)