X

X

10.18.2006

Maggot Debridement Therapy


Wounds can be psychological or physical.
Wounds are healed when there is absence of pain and discomfort.
I am told that for real healing to occur, one must immerse in and not avoid the trigger of the chronic pain.
Interacting with the person that has caused you pain, sounds very much like the medieval practice of wound healing.

In the sixteenth century, common medical practices included the use of maggots and leeches as part of the healing process. It was believed that leeches and maggots could remove harmful body tissue, which were perceived as the cause of illness. Thankfully, medical technology has progressed in the four centuries since then, however, some of today’s doctors have returned to this ancient practice. Using maggots in a procedure called Maggot Debridement Therapy (MDT) has proved useful for managing certain kinds of wounds.

If I were to psychoanalytically follow this protocol, this would mean that people would have to break bread with the very maggots that have caused them pain and suffering, in order to hasten the healing process.

This seems to go against all talk and self-help books that preach removal of any and all that is toxic.
Like the 'local paper writer'. She is on a "guantanamo bay alert"
--she's got a man on the wall--
sniping at would be assailants to her well being.
It is working for her.

I offer my services as a lab rat, for the sake of science and recovery.
The two therapies: 'Maggot Debridement' and the 'Guantanamo Bay Alert' approach.
I hope I find the answer. I hope I don't end up in the Cuckoo's Nest.
Either way, I'll blog about it.