X

X

9.02.2006

Phelarish


Tony Sirico (Uncle Paulie Walnuts from the Sopranos) and the exskindiver


at a party last night hosted by friends who live across the street--no, not the egger but beside him, i haul out my most sociable personality.
i am introduced to a guy as being the sister of ayo (my brother has been around)
my sister, the script writer, could not have made this up, even if she tried:

ROBIN
remember ayo? you met him at christmas?
this is his sister chesca.
GUY
where are you from?
CHESCA
across the street.
GUY
ayu...
CHESCA
no, i am not ayo...i am his sister... chesca
GUY
i know you are not ayo..
CHESCA
i thought you just said "ayu"
ROBIN
he's from australia, ches, he said "are you"
GUY
well my mother is phelarish and...
CHESCA
phelarish? what is that? and where is that?
GUY
(speechless...scratches his head)

as robin distances herself from me, the guy's fiancee walks up and explains that he means
full irish. i escape to pour myself my first drink of the evening.