X

X

12.09.2015

Amazing Grace

Bible verses relevant to this post:

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
~Matthew 25:40

"And every wrongdoer will be repaid for the wrong things he does, because God judges everyone by the same standard."
~Colossians 3:25

"Never take revenge, my friends, but instead let God's anger do it.  For the scripture says, "I will take revenge, I will pay back says the Lord."
~Romans 12:19

I was recently given the opportunity to witness God's work.
There is a woman I know who (from my perspective) has struggled to keep up with the world due to a learning disability.
Her disadvantage has rendered her unable to ever stand up for herself against being taken advantage of.
Unfortunately she was given an even bigger hurdle on top of it all when she gave birth to a child with special needs.
I wondered why God would give an already challenged person an even more difficult situation to handle.
I've prayed for this person's seemingly tough life for years but only now am I getting a glimpse into the bigger picture.
Unbeknownst to me, God has been watching over this woman.

I observed her stand her ground against a seemingly misguided situation.
When I voiced out my admiration and awe of this strength she displayed, her response astounded me.
She said that having a child born with special needs has given her strength.
First of all,  that mindset is not something she, for as long as I've known her, would have come up with on her own. That alone is a miracle and proof of Divine intervention.
(If you knew this woman personally you would agree)

And then it is teaching me that we while we must always do our best to fix the injustices we observe in the world whenever we are able to--we must not get frustrated when we can't control things--but instead:  let go and leave the rest to Him.
God responds.
He gave this woman--who in the past, has never been capable of emotional and intellectual strength--the power and confidence to stand up for herself today.
I was blown away.

And while I premenstrually might get tempted to obsess and react to "unkind acts" I perceive,  prayer has helped me not get hooked indefinitely.

"Father, please forgive me when I judge others instead of loving them.  Help me see every person through Your eyes of love and mercy.  Please guard my tongue and my heart so that I will build up and not destroy others.  I want to please You by the way I love the unlovable.  Help me grow up and become a fully devoted follower of Christ. In Jesus' name, Amen."

Also,  I realize that there is something useful about ugly situations.
If I did not get the chance to know of the undesirable actions of others-then I would not have had the opportunity to see this woman's growth and strength (and be able compliment her too!)
My task is to focus on the blessings of the moment and to accept the negative elements as teachers.
Without annoying people tests, we would not learn to strengthen ourselves into becoming more peaceful and forgiving people.
And I recognize that no one is perfect.
I am sure that there are many traits I have that test others.
If you are one who is tested by me you can thank me later. ;)
Steel is made stronger by fire.

Besides, 'We reap what we sow' is the Bible's version of karma.