X

X

4.15.2015

Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine and Soy, Is What's Cooking


Got this recipe from my friend Sam. (which she got from Chef Ron Bilaro)

Pan sear 3 lbs beef short ribs seasoned with salt and pepper and then coated in flour
Then transfer the ribs into the crock pot.
Add:
carrots, celery and pearl onions (which are a pain in the butt to peel)
4 tbsp of garlic powder (is that teaspoon or tablespoon? since I did not know I put 3 teaspoons in)
1 small can of tomato sauce
2 cups of red wine (once I opened the bottle, I tasted it first. I am happy to report that despite last Sunday's unfortunate "libation and acuity" experience, I am not "off red wine."
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
5 bay leaves
and 1 1/2 cups of beef stock.
Turn cooker on HIGH for 4 hours. Stir occasionally.
(My crockpot teacher-JB's general rule of thumb is not to be tempted to open the crockpot--in this instance you have to in order to stir it)
It is 6:16 now and it is going to be ready by 7 pm.
Updated: I liked it. Who cares what the kids thought.