X

X

3.06.2015

Snow Day: Bargaining, Bartering and Blood

School was cancelled yesterday due to what may be the last snow storm of the season.
Because the girls were home, that post I was intending to write did not get written, as I am most comfortable writing when I have the house to myself.
I looked out the window and wanted to conquer the weather with an outdoor run.
It was 18 degrees and the girls were both still in bed.
I waited until 10 AM to wake them and then started begging, pleading and bartering with them to go for a run with me.
At first they would not have any part of it.
In an effort to change their mind, I offered:
-no piano practice
-no yard dog poop pick up
-no dog walk
in exchange for 20-30 minutes of their life running out in the cold with me.
I told them that I did not really want to to do it, but that I needed them to help motivate me.
I explained that I wanted the chance to be able to say that I ran in snowy conditions before spring.

Still nothing.
So I offered: unlimited access to screens (TV, phone, computer all day.)
I hooked one: K was the first to cave.
She liked the idea of a day free of my nagging and cajoling.
Then someone (I can't remember if it was K or G) suggested that in exchange for the run, I take them to the mall.

If you are unaware of this nugget about me:
I HATE THE MALL.
I NEVER GO THERE.
ESPECIALLY NOT A MALL 13 MILES AWAY.

Maybe out of desperation, I agreed.
But I tossed piano and song back into the equation.

Snowy We-fie

We ended up going for a 30 minute run.
They fulfilled the music portion of our day.

Then I paid with FOUR hours at the mall.
Speaking of bloody,
G even got me to concede to a cartilage piercing.

Prayer.
Only prayer got me through the day.

I prayed during the run.
I prayed during the drive.
I prayed during discussions about purchasing appropriate clothing.
I prayed during the piercing.
I prayed during the trip home.

Only prayer got me through the day.
With prayer, nothing is impossible.