“Be careful not to let yourselves become occupied with too much feasting and drinking and with the worries of this life, or that Day may suddenly catch you."
1."Drop off Catering" means to order food from a catering service, where they deliver it but don't serve it. Say this at the very beginning of your inquiry so that the catering people don't make pushy appointments to do a home inspection. (True story: I had to cancel a company because they wanted to do a site evaluation of my house. drop off catering, drop off catering...remember that term.)
The caterer that didn't need to give my home a rectal, got the job and they were excellent. (thanks ck)
2. 10 cases of beer, 4 cases of wine and 10-12 bottles of various liquor is sufficient for 80 people.
3. For a special event like a 50th b-day, splurging on a bartender and two servers is worth it.
4. Throwing a party is a very good motivator to clear the house of clutter.
5. Prepping the house for the party, has saved the rabbit's life. The rabbit's relocation from our dining room to our second floor turned out to be a good move. Now that G has to navigate around his large enclosure to get to her bedroom or bathroom, she remembers to feed and water him.
6. Knowing that you will host a dozen people to stay over after the party, forces you to really clean well, or get creative in disguising your mess.
7. Speaking of creative and unusual, setting up food in an unlikely place (our basement ping-pong room) prevented a bottle-neck sich. In the unlikely event of another party this large, it is good to remember to think outside the box.
8. It is good to stay sober if you are hosting a large party, so that if your teenager defies you in the middle of her dad's 50th bday celebration, i.e. does not come home at the assigned time, don't freak out. Just jump in the car and get her. (#sogladIwassober)
9. Do set aside the desire to wring the daughter's neck until after the last guests departure the next afternoon, because you must:
10. Be ready to sing karaoke or play ping pong after the party until 4 am.
Glad you had a Happy Birthday, Steve.