X

X

8.18.2014

For The Record,





After the family reunion at the property for 50+ people,
I still made it to the 9 pm mass at the Oratory last night.

I was most grateful for:

-1 very successful and fun-filled weekend.
-all the hard work the men put in that made the place more fun.
-1 house that slept 22 out of the 50  people.
- 5 tents that kept 13 people out of the few hours of rain.
(including me! I conquered camping in the rain!)
-The wilderness environment (bear sounds) that woke 1 person up.
-Everyone's safety.
-The ability to be patient and as neutral as possible despite a couple of challenging personalities.
Truly only a couple. Out of 50, that is not bad. But human nature makes us linger on the few smudges even if most people were very pleasant and enjoyable.

Once we got home, I invited my family to come with me to church but I had no takers.
Before I left, I told Steve that I wanted to attend mass to give me insight on how to deal with human porcupines.
The homily was tailor made for what I was needing.
It didn't even seem related as the Gospel reading was about the Canaanite woman who asked Jesus to heal her sick daughter and then Jesus replied something like... how it is not right to give the children's food to the dogs and the woman replies, yes but even the dogs are allowed to eat the scraps that fall from the table...
The priest explained the history and the standing of the Canaanites, etc. But I was so surprised to hear that his bottom line was:
we are called "to be a witness" and to be loving towards everyone. 
He said this is hard to do around difficult people--especially when at times the annoying personalities are people we are related to!
(!!!!!! was he reading my mind??!)
What are the odds that he was somehow able to link that story to what I needed?
(yes, I know, Steve would say: 1 in 3)
He said although it is challenging, the Holy Spirit can and will help us.
We will be given the grace to answer God's call to be saints. Saints??!!
I will be the first one to say, no way.
But I can surely try my best.
Luckily I am not around difficult people very often.
And that is something I am thankful for.