X

X

7.23.2013

Inward

The process of personal growth is not easy.
In fact it can be rather uncomfortable.

I recently found out that JB,
a close friend and partner in growth--was a high diver at some point in her life.
Meanwhile every year for the past 3 or 4 years, a birthday party has been hosted at a pool with high diving platforms.
Parents and siblings have always been included to enjoy the experience as well.
When I realized that JB knew how to high dive, I asked her why she had not ever participated at those pool parties.
She just shrugged.

Albeit delayed reaction on my part: she impressed me with her humility to resist the urge to perform a skill.
And then it dawned on me that the reason I am in awe of this trait is because I am positive that if I knew how to high dive, I would have been shoving kids out of the way to show off my "one and a half with a twist."

Yuck.
But knowledge is power.
And I now have the power to change.
Maybe I will use this power to learn how to high dive.