X

X

10.29.2012

The Weekend.


My Friday evening unexpectedly opened up when Steve took Kika out to buy a powerful
r-i-f-l-e.
She is now a fully licensed hunter.
Last minute plans for Gabi put her in a make-up gymnastics class--
So I went out and saw this opera by myself. (thanks CK)
It was very good.
I intend to go and see more productions by this theatre group.
The experience is very intense and edgy.
Their set up and style made me feel like I was a part of the performance.
It feels very satisfying to go and do something you want to do whether you have someone  to do it with or not.
There's something very freeing about it.
It's not like you should talk during the show anyway--so there's no need for company really, except maybe for debriefing purposes.

On Saturday though, I went with Kika and Gabi and two of their friends to see the movie, The Perks of Being A Wallflower.
This movie is now on my Top-10-Greatest-Movies-of-All-Time List.
Right up there with Crash, Slumdog Millionaire, Shawshank Redemption,  Silence of the Lambs, Life is Beautiful, Princess Bride, Saving Private Ryan, When Harry Met Sally, Hotel Rwanda---(The Crying Game has now been bumped off by Perks.)

However, debriefing with a 14 yr old, a 13 yr old, 12 yr old, and an  11 yr old is not quite as easy
when the movie touches on some delicate subject matters that I was completely blindsided by. (thanks again, CK)
Issues that I can (unfortunately) identify with.
Luckily on our way out of the movie theater, we bumped into my friends Suzanne and Greg who were on their way in.
With my eyes still wet and my cheeks still stained with tears--they agreed to drop by my house after they saw it so that we could discuss the highly sensitive material. 
Will not spoil your viewing pleasure by talking about it here.
Go. And. See. It.

A line from the movie that I emphasized to the kids during the drive home (after pulling over in order to threaten bodily harm on JB's 12 yr old son if he repeated a phrase in the film that included the term
"blow j**") was:

Even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.
~Stephen Chbosky, Perks of Being A Wallflower

Then to seal the deal, the movie featured the song, Heroes by David Bowie.
That song is near and dear to my heart and an all time favorite.

On Sunday,  I had a bit of the Post-Perks-Blues.
But home-made tacos (with slices of avocado and sour cream) cleared that right up.
And so did church.
After church the girls were happy to go to a pool party (a really cool one with super high diving platforms to jump off from).
So Steve and I went to go see the movie, Argo.
I was so gripped during the entire movie even if I knew the ending. (!!!)
I can't explain that.
But it so inspiring to learn about people who make sacrifices in their lives for the sake of others.
People that make a difference.
To make choices and decisions purely for the good of others.
That's heroic.
It reinforces what I believe and Bowie sings,
That we can be heroes.