X

X

1.14.2010

Today I am going to write about Depression

I have been waking up depression-free and medication free lately.
It's been such a liberating feeling that I almost want to jump up and celebrate, but a part of me is nervous that I might jinx it.
I never knew depression until my first bout with it five years ago.
Depression is physically and emotionally oppressive.

There is not one way to fight it.
Well meaning loved ones may push their "remedies" on you.
They do this out of love (and sometimes impatience) do not take this personally.
Thank them, and reassure them that you are filing away their advice in a special folder.
If they persist, temporarily stop interacting with them.
Depression is difficult enough on its own without having to wrestle with others about it.
If they persist by physically dragging you to a shrink--do not take this personally.
They do this out of love.

Focus on anything and everything pleasant.
-get a haircut.
-paint your nails.
-paint a room.
-cut your toenails.
-dye your hair.
-splurge on an expensive cup of coffee.
-call an old friend--but do not talk about how you feel. Ask them how they feel. Hang up as soon as you feel like it.
-interact with people who do not know you suffer from depression. When you fake it, often times you end up "making it"
-clean out stuff.
-give away excess things.
-exercise (I did not do this, but I wanted to!)
-take a nap. or go to bed early. Exhaustion feeds depression.

I do not have answers, all I have is the experience that now makes me more compassionate towards people debilitated by it.
And now my dog is whining for a walk.
I'll be back.