X

X

7.15.2008

Korean Braised Beef and Extended Family

2 kilos short ribs
1/2 fresh ginger
4 cups water
2 t sesame seeds
1/2 cup soy sauce
sesame oil
3 t sugar
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
fresh garlic (to taste)

(secret recipe that my sis-in-law Chari accidentally left on the counter--unfortunately she did not write down the rest of the instructions)

This Korean Braised Beef, served with Rice, kimchi and fresh bean sprouts on the side is a taste explosion.

People always ask me, how is it working?
Two families under one roof is what they are referring to--and I respond simply:
"It just does."
Meal time is getting to be less of a production (for me, anyway *wink*)
and not only are we getting by
-nakaraos din- but we are eating well.
Due to the sheer number--between 8-11 people on average during meal times, every dinner seems like a party and quite honestly since the Silvas' arrival we have had
non-stop impromptu parties here. (our earth,wind and fire karaoke is a must see)
Honestly, I was not sure how we would negotiate meals but my brother and I,
perhaps calling upon the memory of life growing up in a family of nine children
(Jim being the eldest and I being the youngest)
seem to have successfully welded our families into one.
Now is a good time as any to mention that the key is in our spouses.
My husband Steve has a generous spirit.
His ability to overcome his private nature to accomplish what is important to him--bringing my family closer to me--is his way of not only loving my family--but loving me.
Jim's wife Chari, aside from being good natured, lovely and kind--is an excellent cook.
Need I say more?