X

X

11.10.2007

"Service People"

I cooked a pot of Sinigang for a repair crew that came to fix various things around our house:

-That ineffective slow starting kitchen light we'd been living with for 12 years and our dining room light has finally been replaced with this:


-We now have a door for Steve's closet.
It used to have a door but Steve threw it away years ago--against my advice.
Recently, he ended up buying the door back from the junk shop.
-New lights, an installed backyard water source, the living room wall repaired from water damage from a clogged downspout (now unclogged) and a search through 40 cans of old paint later, our home is patched up and ready for more living.

A friend of mine commented that it was a little bit weird to play host to "service people."

Personally, I did not think so.
Typically "a service person" is defined as someone who might deliver service:
-custodian
-electrician
-house painter
-carpenter

But by the same token,
physicians, lawyers, priests, teachers are also individuals that offer service.
Would I not be just as comfortable
(or uncomfortable, depending on my mood swing)
cooking a filipino meal for them?

Right now, the work I do falls under the category of "service people."
I can only hope that I am always afforded the same honor as 'prestigious service people.'