X

X

4.03.2007

Joy by Jean Patou


The French perfume "Joy" by Jean Patou is advertised as the most expensive perfume in the world.

In high school, I wistfully listened to stories of my globe-trotting friends.
One summer my friend Zoe Campos sent me a post card from Europe.
She had a 'small world' story about how she chance-bumped into another school friend Pia Caluag...while walking in a Parisian street.
What were the odds that two girls that attended school with me in Manila, would traipse around France at the same time- meanwhile my chances of ever traveling out of Luzon were zero at best?
Considering Zoe's grandfather was the 8th president of the Philippines and I was the 9th child of a stay-at-home mother and a self employed attorney-- disparate financial situations dictated disparate travel plans.
Needless to say although I was never uglily jealous, I longed to travel as well.
Anyhow, when Zoe came home from her European vacation, she brought me a bottle of "Joy" by Jean Patou. I was both amazed and honored by the extravagance of the present...and I wore that perfume as preciously stretched out as possible.

Tomorrow--my sister Charissa and I are going to Paris.
Paris.
After 25 years of wishing, I get to see it for myself.
Steve, thank you for making this possible--hope you have fun with the pink-eyed girls.

Remember:
1. precious cargo, drive carefully
2. water safety
3. please do not let anyone's teeth get prematurely knocked out this time.


idlewild park mishap 2004

PS. If you leave me a comment, you just might win yourself a parisian souvenir.