X

X

10.14.2006

Freudian


i was told of someone who could look at something unpleasant and feel it in his teeth.
i totally get that.
forgive me for sharing.
i feel everything.
(what can i say, he is a catch)
my whole body feels.
my gums,
the back of my knees,
even my nail beds seem to be wired to my hypothalamus.
i lost a molar a few years ago--the gap it left was like a seismic measuring tool.
it pulsed with pleasure.
i missed that gap when i was eventually fitted for a dental implant.
this is a gift.
but there is a price to pay for this gift:
the down side of feeling everything is just that... i do feel everything.
i feel pain.
and as if that isn't enough,
i feel other people's pain.
i carry sh** that does not belong to me.
i empathize.
sometimes all these feelings get heavy.
then i want to sleep.
for days.
but before i go to bed i floss my teeth.
flossing before bed just blows my mind
it heightens sensation.
Freud was definitely on to something.